Tamariki mā! We're searching for Aotearoa's best young artist to design the main character of our 2021 Te Reo Māori Season whakaari Pourakahua.
One winning design will be chosen to feature in the shows promotional material that will be seen by thousands of tamariki all across Aotearoa (and the internet too).
Plus you will win yourself an amazing prize pack including an iPad + Apple Pencil AND a free show for your kura!
Entries close 5pm Friday 20 November, 2020.
1 x Top Prize
1 x iPad (10.2-inch Retina display) & Case
1 x Apple Pencil (1st Generation)
Your design featured in the shows promotional material
FREE show for your Kura
4 x Runner-Up Prizes
4 runner-up winners will be selected from each of these four year groups; Year 3-4. Year 5-6, Year 7-8, Year 9-10. Each winner will receive a prize pack of arts supplies valued at $150.
Online Entry Form
Online Entry Form
Make sure to read the Art Brief, Rules and T&Cs below before entering the competition.
Only fill in the entry form when you're ready to submit your artwork! Follow the instructions in the form on how to upload your artwork.
The story is about Pourakahua, a cross between a bird and human that flies across Aotearoa on an amazing journey to find their true home, their kāika tūturu. They meet interesting friends along the way and help them solve their problems.
To help you design Pourakahua here are some things to consider:
MANU / BIRD LIKE
The special thing about Pourakahua is that they are a bird-human. It’s important that your character design has a beak, wings to fly and legs to walk. Be creative and show us what a human and bird hybrid with these characteristics looks like to you.
There are times Pourakahua is called strange or odd-looking, so don’t be afraid to design Pourakahua in a unique way. Being different is what makes them beautiful!
Pourakahua is strong enough to fly great distances and help the many friends they make on their journey. You might want to show us how Pourakahua is resilient and kaha in your design, and the characters pose.
These photos are inspired by the real rock art and from previous Pourakahua shows by Toro Pikopiko Puppets. Use them to inspire you if you wish!
Terms & Conditions
1. If you are under 16 years of age you must obtain permission from your parent/guardian before you enter this competition.
2. Taki Rua will only ever use your personal details for the purposes of administering this competition and will not publish them or provide them to anyone without your permission.
3. You give Taki Rua permission to reproduce submitted work on www.takirua.co.nz, and in our social media.
4. If you submit a winning design, you give Taki Rua permission to reproduce submitted work to potentially feature in the Hero Image for Te Reo Māori Season 2021and displayed in marketing.
5. By entering this competition, each artist understands that the Intellectual Property of their original artwork submitted will belong to that artist. The organisers will feature artwork on the official website, and the successful entry will potentially be featured in digital marketing and pull-up banners that travel nationwide with the touring production.
6. Competition winners agree to their names being published and to be photographed and/or interviewed by media or the promoter and that the promoter may use their names and such photographs and/or interviews for publicity purposes.
7. The deadline for receiving entries for the competition is final. No entries received after the given date will be considered.
8. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Winners will be contacted personally before the winning entries are announced publicly.
9. Taki Rua does not accept any responsibility for late or lost entires due to the Internet or emailing errors. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt.
10. No responsibility is accepted for ineligible entries or entries made fraudulently.
11. This competition is not open to employees or contractors of Taki Rua, any person directly or indirectly involved in Taki Rua or the running of the competition.
12. Taki Rua reserves the right to cancel this competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.
13. Prizes unclaimed after 14 days will be deemed to have been forfeited and Taki Rua reserves the right to either offer the prize to a runner-up, or to re-offer the prize in any future competition.
14. Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when entering this competition. Unless specific permission is sought from you by the Taki Rua team –all submitted competition artwork files and personal details will be kept for two years after the conclusion of the competition.
Your artwork must be:
1.All your own work –100% original. Artwork can be hand-drawn or can be digitally illustrated. If the winning entry is hand-drawn we may digitally illustrate with your permission.
2.The design is to create the character Pourakahua, therefore you don’t need to design a background as well. You are welcome to do this, as long as you can submit to us your character design entry on either a plain white background (or paper if creating by hand) or without a background (if creating digitally).
3.If you are creating original art or design work by hand, this will need to be scanned at 300dpi (resolution). All submitted artwork needs to be saved as a PDF formatted file. These will need to be between 2-10MB in size and uploaded directly into our competition entry form.
4.This competition is open to any school student in Aotearoa between Year 3-10.
5.Entries close 5pm, Friday 20 November 2020.